10/9/07

Eric- 2nd sitting



This is Eric's 2nd sitting (he is actually standing) and there are a few things worth noting. 1- As I mentioned in a previous post, Eric is a struggling artist. He has a set of very fine pastels called "Sennelier" which he allowed me to use for this stage of the study and they are so rich in pigment that it was like painting with visual dynamite! (I highly recommend them and someday will afford a set of my own). 2- If you compare stage one with stage two you will notice that in stage two there is the hint of a smile. This is the beauty of working from life as the artist can follow changes that occur while observing the model. If working from a photograph then one is stuck with a sliver of time that may or may not exemplify the subject. Having said that, he has agreed to do one more sitting and I haven't decided weather or not to keep the smile. What do you think? Should I make him more somber? He often has a seriousness about him, and after all, this may get destroyed.

2 comments:

Mick said...

I like the smile. The other is best if we're going to put bullet holes into the study.

Anonymous said...

It's coming along quite nicely. Wonderful highlights and the slight glimmer of a smile changes his expression completely. Amazing.