10/25/07

My Toaster


This 3 1/2 hour painting was done on location in my red kitchen as an experiment one morning just to see if I could create a work of art with old house paint and plywood found in my basement.
It was a great exercise because not only was I forced to a limited pallet of black, white, red and blue, but also the property of the paint was not conducive to blending, glazing, mixing, or any of the other luxuries that artist's paints offer, and I was pushed outside my comfort zone.
It is important for artists to test themselves like this on occasion in order to grow. It is my belief that if one can create the illusion of three dimensional form with traditional materials, then that process can be repeated using just about anything -like, oh say,- coffee beans for example.

No comments: