4/6/08

Too Late To Save "Thrift Store Duck 2"


9" x 16" Charcoal on paper.
This study did not sell on ebay and will now be destroyed.

I purchased Thrift Store Duck back in 2006 at (you guessed it) a thrift store. I needed a model for a simple still life and at 49 cents he fit the bill (excuse the pun). At first glance he seemed like you’re typical, every day, ceramic duck / paperweight / pencil holder. However, as I began to study and draw him it became apparent that he was anything but ordinary. You see, upon close inspection, I discovered that at some point during his existence he had been broken and neatly glued back together, and whoever nursed him back to health left their fingerprint in the glue.

While these unique characteristics are not evidenced in this drawing nor in my first sketch -“Thrift Store Duck”, I plan to explore them in the next study, so stay tuned.



VIEW DESTRUCTION VIDEOS

No comments: